Saturday, March 6, 2010

Benihana Buddies

The other week we took a field trip to the East Side and dined at the famous Benihaha. Danny had a $30 off coupon and he had never been so we couldn't pass up the opportunity. For those who are unfamiliar with Benihana, it is a restaurant where the chef prepares your meal right at your table. You are seated at a table with 9 people, in our case 7 of them were strangers, and you share the experience with them. The level of interaction with your dinner-mates is completely up to you because although you are only sitting 4 inches away from your neighbor, that is very common in a NYC restaurant.

Well, for those who don't know, my husband is a super friendly chap. He loves to chit-chat and can pretty much have a conversation about anything with anyone. I should have known he would make lasting friendships with the people at our table. There was a 29 year old guy named Brandon sitting next to Danny. He is from Korea but in NYC taking English classes so he can go to school in Shanghai and obtain a Masters. Danny talked to him for about 2 hours and I think it's safe to say that Brandon knows more about Danny than I do. They ended their evening by exchanging Facebook information. I have yet to confirm if their relationship is official, but I'm glad they had a nice evening.

I personally had my eye on our chef, Richard, from Mexico (Richard? I know!). He made me laugh multiple times with smart remarks like 'Japanese Coca-cola' as he sprinkled Soy Sauce over the fried rice and every trick/fancy thing he wowed us with he basically laughed at himself and it came across as "I can't believe I do this ridiculous act for a living".

Nothing like an adventure on the East Side.