Saturday, December 3, 2011

Nighttime

I have always cherished my sleep. Ever since Danny and I got married bed time has been the only constant source of contention. I like to go to sleep and Danny likes to stay up. Since we live in a studio and the bed is right next to the TV it's difficult to have a win-win situation.

Now that Declan is here I'm coming to realize that all the men in my family are night owls and fight nighttime sleep. Since Danny is working, I've taken 100% night duty (we will have to adjust this arrangement when I go back to work if Declan isn't consistently sleeping through the night). Night duty is really hard for me because I would rather be asleep of course! But I have found something that works to get me through the night. Right before I start my sleep (which is undoubtedly interrupted) I queue up a Christmas movie. Then when Declan wakes up I start my movie. I'll keep it on until he goes back to sleep. Sometimes this takes a long time.
Danny can gauge how good the night was by how much of the movie I have left in the morning. He knows it took Declan a good amount of crying to go back to sleep if I report that I finished the movie.