Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Traveling!

Some people abhor airports. Toting heavy luggage, interacting with disgruntled airport employees, standing in lines with less than intelligent travelers, taking your ID in and out of your wallet, removing your shoes, coat and practically unpacking your bags at security, sitting in uncomfortable seats, losing luggage and enduring endless delays. Overall an airport is a place built for the purpose of waiting and some people do not have that kind of patience.

I can see the merit in all these complaints, but I love airports. Airports have a special place in my heart and I enjoy spending time there. One of these days I might join Tom Hanks and live in one. I have fond memories of camping out at the airport with my laptop and a good movie. I've never really understood why I love airports, but today I took time to ponder it.

  • I am not a business traveler and therefore all my time clocked at the airport is to board a plane for vacation. Vacation usually means exotic places or the chance to see my family.
  • Additionally, airports are usually crowded and I love being surrounded by lots of people. Pure joy fills my heart in a crowded subway standing shoulder to shoulder and not having to hold on because the belly of my neighbor will hold me up. I also want to hug Times Square and all the star struck tourists milling around aimlessly.
  • Also, I've flown lots and so I am ultra comfortable in any airport.
  • Lastly, airports are such a leisure place to relax and hide from the world. You can just turn off your phone and disappear (literally, people from your normal life can't come looking for you because only ticketed passengers can pass security).

May your holiday season be filled with time spent at the airport.