Thursday, November 5, 2009

Have it your way at BK

The other day, Danny and I went out for a romantic dinner at Burger King in Rockefeller Center. After ordering chicken nuggets and double cheeseburgers, I went to secure a cozy booth for two. As I sat there waiting for Danny to bring our food, I was listening to the music playing over BK speakers. To my dismay, the rap song they were blasting had a smattering of four letter words. I'm not talking one, I’m saying every other word was a curse word! I was shocked and really disappointed. I realize I am a little more sensitive than the average New Yorker, but I didn’t expect a family friendly restaurant to create an environment with such filth. Anyone that presents plastic toys to their youngest patrons should really stick with G-rated music.

When Danny finally brought our food, I communicated the offense explained that I was going to march over and demand they change the music. Danny was a little embarrassed at his wife's piousness and tried to persuade me to simply eat my food. He even suggested eating our food outside. But NO! I felt a need to protect the ears of my fellow BK goers and in general, the future of our country. Looking back I really took this a lot more seriously than I would have expected. One of the main thoughts that kept running through my mind was "I don't want to live in a world where I have to worried about the music my kids hear at Burger King."

I guess my maternal instinct and the thought of our future children gave me more than enough courage to waltz up to the pickup counter and inquired, "Would it be possible to change the music?" The 17 year old BK boy stared at me with a little shock. Inside his head he was probably rolling his eyes and thinking how dare this pushy New York request to some teen pop Miley Cyrus. But in a display of exemplary customer service, he replied, "What kind of music would you like?"

With as much sternness as I could muster, because of course I wanted him to realize this was no joke, I said, “Oh I’m not too picky, just something with a little less cursing." He was actually quite embarrassed for BK and was completely unaware that there was cursing on the music. He probably chose the CD and would have gotten in big trouble had his manager noticed the infraction before I did.

As I victory danced back to my booth, classic Michael Jackson started to rock my BK world. Good prevails again.

Now I truly believe it – you can have it your way at BK.